Posted by The Hacker News team on November 16, 2018 11:37:50 A civil court judge has denied a request by a woman to withdraw from a marriage contract she entered after a rape case.
In a decision released on Friday, Judge Kathleen N. Johnson said the contract was “void” because she and her husband could not prove they were innocent of the rape, which happened in their home in 2016.
The judge said the “fatal flaw” in the contract did not appear to be an “intentional act” on the part of either party.
A civil rights group called the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers applauded the ruling as a victory for the accused.
“It sends a strong message that our criminal justice system will not tolerate wrongful convictions or other criminal acts in cases involving rape, domestic violence, and other forms of abuse,” said NACDL’s national director, Andrew S. Goldstein.
The case involved the alleged rape of a Virginia man by a stranger in a hotel room.
The woman, whose name was withheld because of her age, alleged that her husband raped her, forced her to drink alcohol, and then raped her again.
Her husband and two other men who were at the home during the alleged attack said they did not know she was pregnant at the time and did not tell anyone.
The husband, who is a police officer, was convicted of first-degree rape, second-degree murder, and aggravated assault, and the other men were convicted of second-and third-degree assault.
The trial court convicted the woman, who lives in the Virginian region, of the charge of rape, but the Virginia Supreme Court overturned that conviction and ruled in favor of the husband.
The Virginia Supreme Courts’ decision is the latest in a string of court decisions that have led to higher conviction rates for rape victims in Virginia.
In May, a Virginia court overturned the conviction of a man who killed his girlfriend and her three children because the woman had been drinking alcohol with them when she was arrested and accused of having sex with the three children.
The decision by Johnson, however, came after a three-week trial in which the defendant was found guilty of two counts of second degree murder.
The ruling by Johnson also comes after a ruling by a Virginia appeals court in June that overturned the convictions of a couple accused of killing their 17-year-old daughter because they had consensual sex with her.
That ruling was appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.
In both of those cases, the women were accused of committing rape but the judge ruled that the trial judge did not have the authority to exclude evidence related to the sexual activity, and that the jury was allowed to consider that evidence.
The verdict in both cases was based on testimony from the alleged victim that she had consensual sexual relations with the accused and had told her husband that she was not pregnant.
The state Supreme Court reversed that decision in March.
In Virginia, a rape victim’s rights group, The Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network, called the decision a “victim-shaming victory” and said that women who have been falsely accused of rape should be able to get a new trial.
“Women have always been able to make their case in court and that is a fact of life for many of us,” the group said in a statement.
“In this case, Virginia should not be telling rape victims they can’t get a fair trial, but instead let them make their own case, and it is their right to do so.”
In March, Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe announced he was appointing a special prosecutor to handle the rape case in the wake of the case.
“The state is moving to take meaningful steps to protect rape victims,” McAuliffe said at the signing of the special prosecutor’s appointment.
“We are working together to ensure the accused are held accountable for their actions and that they are held to the highest standard of care in the judicial system.
We will continue to stand up for rape survivors in the Commonwealth.”
The state has been under a state of emergency since the July 2016 murder of Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich, who was shot in the back while walking home from a party in Washington, D.C. in the early hours of July 10, 2016.
In the wake in the case, the Democratic National Convention was canceled.
A federal investigation into the murder concluded in September 2018 that the gunman, who had a history of mental health issues, had killed Rich and was not affiliated with the DNC or its staff.
He was also not part of any organized group that was trying to steal Democratic Party emails.